Xavier Araújo Morgado Vilaça
N-Party BAR Transfer
Tese submetida para provas de mestrado em Engenharia Informática e de Computadores
Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade Técnica de Lisboa.
Peer-to-peer networks have emerged as a relevant architecture for
executing scientific computations. However, this kind of networks
poses several problems. This thesis addresses the problem of data
storage in a peer-to-peer architecture. We consider several distinct
behaviors of the participating nodes. To deal with this variety, we
use the BAR model, that comprises Byzantine, Rational, and Altruist
peers. In this report, we provide a survey on peer-to-peer storage
solutions and on different approaches to deal with byzantine and
rational peers. We also propose a new protocol (NBART) for reliably
transferring data from a set of N producers to a set of N consumers,
when up to f producers and/or f consumers are Byzantine, and when the
remaining participants are either Rational or Altruist. This protocol
serves as a building block for our storage subsystem, by preserving
the data through successive transfers. We perform an analytical
evaluation that aims at proving the correctness of the protocol and
showing that it is on each Rational participant interest to follow the
- N-Party BAR Transfer
- Xavier Araújo
- MSc Thesis. Instituto Superior
Técnico, Universidade Técnica de Lisboa.
- Available BibTeX, MSC Thesis, extended abstract of the
thesis, and mid-term
- N-party BAR Transfer.
- X. Vilaça, J. Leitão, M. Correia and L.
- In Proceedings of the the 15th International
Conference On Principles Of DIstributed Systems (OPODIS), Toulouse,
France, December, 2011.
- Available BibTeX, abstract (html) and report (pdf).
- N-party BAR transfer: Motivation, Definition and
- X. Vilaça, J. Leitão,
- In proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Theoretical
Aspects of Dynamic Distributed Systems (in conjunction with DISC
2011), Rome, Italy, September 19, 2011.
- Available BibTeX,
abstract (html) and report (pdf).
- Transferência de Dados entre Grupos de Processos no
- X. Vilaça, J. Leitão, and
- Actas do terceiro Simpósio de
Informática (Inforum), Coimbra, Portugal, Sep, 2011
- Prémio melhor artigo de estudante INForum 2011.
- Available BibTeX,
extended report (pdf).